Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Edible Art, My Favorite Kind

I come from a family of seriously talented artists, and I've spent a good portion of my life trying to find what kind of art I was talented at. My grandma is most famous for her painting and fashion sense, my mother, previously for her clay and batik, currently for her jewelry making and crafting (there's not much my mother can't make..) Two years ago, I found my talents. I make crazy cakes and can decoupage the crap out of anything.

My most prized cakes are these:

I made this Barbie cake for my friend Jean for her birthday. I used a princess Barbie because we call Jean 'Queen Jean' and cut the Barbie's hair so it looked similar to hers. I layered a few cakes, and cut them to look like a dress skirt, then piped on frosting and sprayed it with a few different edible sprays I found. SO CUTE, right??

This next cake I made for my friend Tony, who is an avid skiier.

Look at the size of that cake! I must have made 6 carrot cakes (Tony's fav), and stacked them up on top of each other. Then I cut down some of the edges until I thought it resembled a ski mountain. I covered it in frosting, used some blue spray, covered 2 sugar cones in green frosting for trees, sprinkled some coconut for snow at the bottom, and the pièce de résistance, I found a picture of a skiier in an orange jacket (Tony's fav color), then photoshopped Tony's face on, printed, and laminated it, and stuck it in the top of the cake. Definitely my best work to date. I've been getting some inspiration lately from Bakerella, so hopefully you'll be seeing some fun baked goods shortly! What are your artistic talents? Everyone is good at something.

No comments:

Post a Comment